Monday, May 20, 2013

Spending My First Day 50 Meters Under! By Katherine Golemi

I expected my trip to Chile to bring new experiences, but little did I know that I would spend part of my first full day in Chile under the Pacific Ocean!

To rewind a little, after 10 hours in the Santiago airport, I arrived in Concepcion to finally meet my host family.   What a welcome I received!  I hit it off immediately with my host mom and dad, Oscar and Nieves, and my host hermanos, Adrian and Victor.  I had a lovely first night in Concepcion, eating dinner and getting to know them (after a much needed shower) back at the apartment.

Yesterday morning after breakfast, Oscar said we were going to go see an old mine in Lota, about 30 minutes away.

Lota sits right on the Pacific Ocean!

What an experience!  Being 50 meters underground, especially with a 10 year old and 7 year old :), is an experience unlike any other.  First, they gave us a tour around the grounds of the mines.  We got to see where the miners who worked there lived and some of the tools they used.  Then we got geared up to go into the mine!

Adrian and Victor are ready!

As we journeyed down into the mines, the ceiling got lower and lower until you literally were almost on your knees walking through it.  There were different stopping points where the ceiling was high enough that you could take pictures.


Me outside the entrance to the mine.

Sorry for the bad quality!  My camera doesn't have a "coal mine" setting ;)

After exploring the mine, my family took me to Jorge Alessandri Park.  It is also near Concepcion and is beautiful!  We hiked to one of the observation points where you could see all the way to the ocean.  The weather was clear and cool, perfect for exploring the park.  We also saw a greenhouse where they grow the national flower and tree of Chile.  
              

                The copihues is the national flower of Chile.


Adrian enjoying the view.

        
               Jorge Alessandri Park
   
After all this exploring, we had worked up an appetite.  We ate in the club of a golf course which sits on a lake by the Coastal Mountains.  It was breathtaking.  This country and it's people have stolen my heart already, and it's only our first few days!

My view of the Coastal Mountains at dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment