Sunday, May 19, 2013

Que-Es-Eso?... Eso es casa de Peña. By: Leah Katherine Saal


I arrived in Concepcion yesterday with Desiree and Luukus and was so excited to see that the whole Peña family. Hector, Cristina, Seba, Connie, and Angela were waiting for me at the airport.  They brought me beautiful (LSU purple) flowers.  I missed them so much, and it was amazing to see them after communicating all year.  Connie and Cristina had spent all day making a delicious tart, which we had after a hearty beef stew, compliments of Hector’s kitchen.  I never cease to be amazed at the wonderful generosity of the Chilean people, especially this family.  They have already gone out of their way to make me feel at home again.
Connie and Cristina's Homemade Tart Cake
Today, we had a wonderful lunch of Discada. It is a dish cooked in one round pot, which simmers together and is served inside of clay bowls.  Cristina and Hector said that they had this frequently when they were evacuated from their house for the earthquake.  (I think it is like Louisiana people making Jambalaya and Gumbo during a hurricane before the meat in the freezer spoils.)


Discada cooking!

Can't have just one bowl...
 Hector's discada had beef, chicken, shrimp, clams, and vegetables. It was so good -  I had to have seconds. Hector really should consider opening a restaurant! We followed lunch with a fun trip to Quinchamali, where I was able to see beautiful handmade pottery and buy some discada bowls of my own.  Mike T. Tiger had a fun time riding in Angela’s bag on the trip.  They are becoming very good friends!


Artisan's Village in Quinchamali
Racks of beautiful hand-made pottery
Mike's along for the ride!
 I am trying to learn more Spanish this trip. The kids gave me a great kinesthetic learning strategy that children here are taught by their parents.  If you write the word Queso (Cheese) on your five fingers with one letter per finger, you can use them to spell Que (What), Es (Is), Eso (This)?, and answer the question by spelling Eso – es – Queso (It is cheese!) with your fingers again.  The Queso trick is a funny way to help you to remember three of the most frequently used words in Spanish. Tomorrow and Tuesday are holidays in Chile, so we will not attend school until Wednesday.  I can’t wait to hear how all of the students spent the holiday with their families!

Que- Es - Eso?


No comments:

Post a Comment