Friday, May 24, 2013

Mi Famalia es GRANDE!!!!! By Christian Armstrong

If I had time to really put into words everything that is going on in my mind right now I could write an entire book. My family has been nothing but nice to me and they have truly made me feel like I belong in their family. I am pretty sure that I have the biggest family in the entire program and I LOVE it. My family consists of my host father Cristian (YES! We have the same name) my host mother Anita, and my siblings: Francisca (12 years old), Marianne (11 years old), Maria Jose (5 years old), Maria Elena (4 years old), Jose Maria (3 years old) and Ignacia (1 ½ years old). It is safe to say that there is never a dull moment in my house and I would not want to be anywhere else! 
My first encounter with my family was not what I expected because everyone was not there to greet me. I completely understand having to pack six kids in the car and keep them contained in an airport. I got off of the plane feeling very anxious and nervous. I told myself “Do not look at the glass…just get your stuff and wait.” That of course did not happen because there was a big sign with my name on it and everyone was waving and calling my name. At that moment all of my anxiety went away and I just wanted to meet my family. They immediately grabbed me, hugged me, and showered me with kisses, and we were out the door. When we got home I was greeted again but this time by four little noses all lined up and pressed against the window. It was the cutest thing ever. We did not stay home long before we were packing our things and on our way to el campo (their house in the country) this is where I spent a majority of my first week in Chile.
In the country I did many things that I defintiely would not do back home like: riding dirt bikes, feeding pigs, and actually cooking in the kitchen. Being in the country gave everyone a chance to really bond, le tour hair down, and get to know each other.
Maria Jose and I (looking kinda rough) kneading dough for homemade empanadas.

Almost Done!

Our first outing was to visit the famous Chilean waterfalls Salto de Laja. They were beautiful waterfalls and it was VERY cold. I heard in the Summer it is a nice place to visit and wade in the water. We took a boat tour of the falls to get a closer look. The tour was breathtakingly amazing. I have never witnessed such beauty in nature before. I look forward to the rest of my trip to see where my family takes me next!
Some of the gang and I at Salto de Laja


No comments:

Post a Comment