Friday, May 24, 2013

Baila Pazita Baila by: Blaire Levy


        This experience has far exceeded my expectations and I’ve only been here a week. Everything…my host family, the food, the conversations, the Chilean people have been AMAZING. I arrived at my new house Saturday night and was welcomed with open arms, hugs AND kisses,  and lots of wine. Right away I knew we would hit it off.  My host family is a lot like my own family- they are friendly, funny, open with each other, joke, like to drink, and are very loud. I feel right at home. I live in Talcahuano with Biarle and Jorge and their two kids Cristobal (7) and Paz (1).  Oh and I can’t forget my grandparents and cousins- Biarle’s family lives down the street and visit every other day. It’s fun- there’s always someone to talk to! Anyone who knows me knows that I have many babies in my family and absolutely adore them, thus I am obsessed with babies. A huge reason why I was meant to be with this Chilean family: Paz.  Paz is just the absolute best. She might even be my favorite part about Chile. She is a plump one year old with rosy cheeks you can’t help but kiss all day. She has a gorgeous head of curly hair and eyelashes that I covet mucho. She NEVER cries-when she’s tired, she just falls asleep whatever she’s in the midst of doing. Paz rules the roost- and she knows it. You would too if you were as cool as Paz. Since babies are one of my hobbies- I knew we would be fast friends. On my second night we were just staring at Paz (because you can’t not just watch her waddle around the house) and Biarle started singing “Baila Pazita Baila, Baila Pazita Baila” (Dance little Paz, dance) and Paz started really getting into the groove. Then I joined in and added a little snapping action to her dance moves. She absolutely loved it. She started laughing and copied my snapping. After that night whenever she sees me, she raises her hands and starts snapping. It makes my day. I love seeing that chunky little face every morning. Baila Pazita!
            Having Paz in the house definitely helps with the communication with my “parents”. Since they speak hardly any English and I speak little Spanish, sometimes it’s very difficult. She is our entertainer, common ground, our little Pazita. Biarle told me Saturday night upon my arrival that they did not have wi-fi at their house. I have to admit I was nervous- what am I going to DO? I can’t possibly do this without being able to communicate with the other girls on the trip, my family- I was worried.  However it’s been extremely beneficial in bonding with my family.  I don’t have to worry about checking my phone and since I don’t have anything else to do, why not go converse (or at least try to) with my family.  I think Americans could learn a lesson from the Chilean people. Spend time and communicate with each other, don't be so preoccupied with what's going on in social media. Maybe this is the reason my Chilean family is so close with each other. So much love in this family. I was so worried about being "disconnected" from everyone back home and not realizing that I should be connecting to actual people here. My family and I communicate by using the little Spanish I can remember from high school (it comes back quickly), drawing pictures, and of course charades. It probably looks ridiculous to outsiders but it works for us, and I love them. I enjoy sitting with them listening to the history and politics of Chile, sharing stories from my own family, our different customs, joking at the dinner table, and talking about Paz, obvio. I feel like I’ve been in this family forever. This experience has already changed me and I am so thankful I’m here. Looking forward to what the rest of the trip has in store.  




Pazita 

 Paz says "Geaux Tigers!" I'm so proud :)

Walruses (walri?) chillin on the gorgeous Talcahuano Harbor

My grandfather's birthday party! Salud!


No comments:

Post a Comment