Friday, May 24, 2013

Donde Mike? by Katie Steinhardt


                My host family, the Macaya Suazo family, is incredible. They have welcomed me warmly and I already feel like a part of the family. Patricia, my host mom, says I am her 4th daughter! They have gone out of their way to make me feel at home and show me everything Chile has to offer (which happens to be a lot.) My first weekend here, they took me to both the beach and the mountains!

                I am constantly impressed by the maturity, kindness, and intelligence of the two older girls, Daira(12) and Daniella (10). And finally Emilia. Emilia is always smiling and laughing. She´s the happiest 4 year old I have ever met. I always feel bad though, because I don´t want her to think that when I don´t respond to what she´s saying, it is because I´m ignoring her, I just don´t have any clue what she´s saying! That being said, I have come to realize she understands a lot more English than she speaks. It was just yesterday that I made this discovery.
Donde Mike?

I came home from school and Emmi was ready to play! After thoroughly confusing one another trying to communicate, we just started making silly faces at one another. This somehow evolved into a rousing game of ¨Donde Mike?!¨ In theory, we would take turns hiding my plush Mike the Tiger for the other to find. In actuality, I hid it once; I found the rest of the times. I found and found and found again. When I returned to my bedroom to find Mike AGAIN, there was an Emmi-built tower of some of my belongings. And Mike was no where to be found. When I asked her ¨Donde Mike?¨ she couldn´t remember! She thought I had hid him, I think she´s still convinced I have him. I don´t. After all of her giggles, thinking I had re-hid him, and all of my giggles, realizing that Mike was actually missing, I realized how well we were actually communicating. It was exactly what I needed after my school day. Especially since I was doubting how useful I could be in a Kinder classroom with the language barrier. There really are ways to communicate without speaking: A cliché turned lesson.
The tower that distracted Emmi from her Mike-Hiding

No comments:

Post a Comment