Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Somewhere in the midst by Whitney Campbell

It's hard for me to put a date on when this trip started. Was it when I turned in my application to study abroad in Chile, crossing my fingers that I'd get the chance to experience this breathtaking country? Maybe when I received an email from my host family that read "Hello Whitney! Welcome to our family. We can't wait to have you in our home."? Could it have been when I boarded the plane in New Orleans? Or was it when I met my family in the airport - an immediate connection that I will remember forever? I'm not sure when or where this trip began for me, but somewhere in the midst - I fell in love.

I was greeted with open arms at the airport by the most beautiful and excited family I have ever seen. The children held homemade signs with my name written in different colors on them. Noses pressed up against the glass, never ending smiles, and hands waving so quickly I could barely see them move. Almost instantly, I felt at home.

Yesterday my family took me to a festival in a nearby town. There was great food, good music, and lots of shopping! Towards the middle of the town, a crowd of people gathered around an animal that I could barely see. As we walked closer, I realized it was a sea lion! In the middle of the town... how crazy is that?! My parents explained to me that this was a once in a lifetime happening - sea lions never make their way towards the center of town!

Sea lion!

A long pier led to the water and the view was.. for lack of better words, breathtaking. I could see all of the surrounding towns, boats, more sea lions, and the sunset. I took as many pictures as possible - hoping to never forget those sights. I'm excited to see what the rest of the trip will bring. I've already become so attached to my family and it's only the third day! I'm not sure when or where this trip began for me, but somewhere in the midst - I fell in love.

My amazing host parents, Marilu and Jaime!






1 comment: