Friday, May 24, 2013

My Home Away From Home by Gabby Velez


Oh what a crazy ride it has been already. Even though today is only day 6 of our trip, I feel as if I have lived with my host family for years. I wasn't nervous about this trip until I sat in the Santiago airport for 10 hours with nothing else to think about. Once I met my family all of the nerves went away. I was welcomed with open arms (and an open house) to some of the best people I have ever known. Chileans give the South a run for their money when it comes to hospitality. Most of the time they know what I need before I do. 

On Tuesday I was able to experience my first Chilean birthday. In many ways it was similar to American birthdays but it was also different. The party was at a place called Happy Place. It was a house with many different rooms that each had a different theme. There were kids running around everywhere. I could hear laughter ringing out from every corner. The table was set up with many different kinds of appetizers.  Every time I turned around more food was being brought out. I have learned this is normal in Chile. When we sang Happy Birthday, the birthday boy got up and danced to a few songs. Then we ate, ate, and ate some more. 





                                         The main table with all of the yummy appetizers.


                                      One of the rooms that the children were able to play in.


Julietta playing in the ball pit.




           Josefa sliding down the slide at the party.


Then we went to Dichota, Chile to see the beach. That was quite an adventure to get too. The roads were very narrow and we went up and down many hills. On the way there, my host family told me more about the earthquake and tsunami of 2010. In some ways this was a way for us to bond. I understood the devastation that they experienced because of living in Louisiana where we have hurricanes and also having family in Oklahoma that experience tornadoes. Before coming here I hadn't heard much about the earthquake. My host family showed me where the tsunami occurred. It was a very solemn experience to look at the place where many people lost everything they owned and some even lost their lives. It was also interesting to see how much the city had reconstructed since this event. In some places I wouldn't have ever known that such a horrific event had occurred. In
other places, some buildings were falling down and trash was around them. I found it very interesting to bond with my family over something like this.
                                              My first view of the Pacific Ocean

My family then took me to an AMAZING restaurant called Restaurant Santa Elena. I was able to eat fresh fish while sitting at a table looking at the Pacific Ocean for the first time. Pretty cool in my opinion. After this we were able to walk along the beach and touch the water. Key word touch, because it was just a tad bit cold.

Josefa and I on the beach.

This has probably been my favorite day with my family so far. I was able to feel somewhat at home at a birthday party. I also was able to bond with my family over a more serious situation.
I can't wait to see what the rest of this AMAZING experience holds.

No comments:

Post a Comment