Friday, May 24, 2013

Firsts by Claire Johnson


I first heard of this trip when the study abroad meeting interfered with me EDCI 2700 class taught by Mrs. Denny.  I was immediately intrigued of the idea of teaching at a school in Chile.   I convinced my parents to let me go and booked my flight the next week.  Around December and January, I felt that time was moving extremely slow. Yet, the days came and went, and it was May 17th before I knew it.  This trip to Chile would be one of many firsts for me: an international flight, the longest I have been away from my family and friends, staying with a host family, and being in a sea of people who did not speak English!

@New Orleans Airport waiting to board the first plane!

Each of these firsts will be firsts to remember forever.  I seemed to be having a streak of luck because all my flights went perfect.  I hoped that luck will continue throughout my trip.  My host family has been remarkable. The Rios family has taken me under their wings, we are all involved together.  From taking me to the mall in search of a computer charger and having a family barbecue, I feel right at home.  Having three new brothers, Camillo, Maxi, and Cristobal, has been interesting. There is never a dull moment around the house!  I truly feel like I have become a part of their family. 

Cristobal and Maxi pose with Mike

Since I have not started my blocks yet, Thomas Jefferson School has acted as a first for me truly participating in a classroom.  The staff’s welcoming arms have been very helpful.  I am in the 2nd and 3rd grade math class.  Even though I have been at school for only three days, I love it!  The students are all so energetic and eager to be in the classroom.  I was very  nervous before I started, but my teacher, Ms. Sandra has proven that math is fun!  At the beginning of each class, we do an activity with the students for a review.  In the third grade class today, we had a competition involving multiplication, the students absolutely loved it.  It was very exciting for me to see the kids learning in such a fun environment.  

Ms. Sandra's Classroom

Overall, my firsts experience has proven to be wonderful. Although, I miss my family back home, I have made a family here.  I have been so thankful for this experience.  I cannot wait to see what the next few weeks have in store.  


 Mike the Tiger has been making its way from suitcases to shoulders & to school.  He is eager to get the Chilean experience along my side!

No comments:

Post a Comment