Friday, May 24, 2013

Welcome to Chile By Kasey Ball


Welcome to Chile!

            I was very excited about the trip to Chile, and was never once anxious about coming, that is until I stepped off the plane in Concepcion. All of a sudden I thought “What is my host family doesn’t like me?”. Fortunately, my host family has been astounding. Despite there hectic lives I feel at home. I have slept better here than I do at home. Mauricio the father is an engineer. Although he doesn’t talk too much he has been very welcoming. Lorena my host mom is a physical therapist, Pilates instructor and teaches at the university. Despite the fact that I can’t speak Spanish and she can’t speak English we communicate well through pantomimes and her wonderful daughter Isidora. I am amazed with Isidora’s patience with constantly having to translate, but she does a spectacular job and has made me feel at home. Nicholas her younger brother has also been very welcoming. He is autistic and doesn’t say to much to me but the first night I was there we walked to the store and he held my hand the whole way there and back. The last member of the family is Andres who is in Kindergarten. He is a little ball of energy! I could tickle him all day J


Andres and I playing with my computer


At school I get to teach PE with a great teacher named Mrs. Gustavo. He has great English and I have enjoyed the conversations we have had immensely. Teaching PE with him has made me think about getting certified to teach PE back home. The students I have been able to teach have been so engaging and energetic. I can not wait to teach again on Monday!

Kasey 


No comments:

Post a Comment