Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Getting Settled by Maddy Womack

Since I last posted things have only gotten more settled and more comfortable. It has been so great. Last week was my "Aunt Paty's" birthday, but she's more like an older sister. We went out and had pizza and some drinks Friday night, which was a lot of fun because I got to meet and talk with her husband, Raul, and her two friends. Paty and her two friends are also teachers at a different school!

Raul, Paty, me and Mike all having a great time!

Saturday night we had dinner with Fabiola's family to celebrate Paty's birthday with the whole family. It was so delicious! We had ceviche, awesome guacamole, tasty green sauce and tacos. Yum! All prepared with love by some true Chileans. Fabiola's parents do not speak English but they still make me feel right at home. The entire family seems very happy to have me, what more could I ask for?

The whole family talking and celebrating!

A better shot of all the delicious food!!

Our very own Chilean wine spokeswoman!

Sunday we went to the Universidad de Concepcion, which is where Fabiola and Juan Carlos both work. It was a beautiful campus with lots of happy people. There was a heritage festival going on so there were a few informational exhibits that were interesting, like one had a bunch of Chilean-native animals! There was a taxidermic puma, ostrich, birds, and bugs, spiders, fish and more! Very interesting, and Antonia seemed to enjoy it!

A "quad" area at Universidad de Concepcion with the Chilean and University flags flying

The week at school has been great so far. I really like and appreciate the teacher I am with. She has taught be a lot about classroom management. I also like her because she sets a great example. She does so much for the school, some not even having to do with music. She is very humble and admirable. In the classes, I have taught the younger kids the hokey pokey which they all love. We go around and each person takes a turn saying which body part you "put in." This helps them practice their english too! I have also taught the kids the song "My Bonnie," which my teacher realized is relevant because here in Chile, May is the month of the sea. "My Bonnie" has lyrics, "My Bonnie lies over the ocean, my Bonnie lies over the sea..." This is another exercise to practice english because before we sing, the kids have to explain the meaning of the english lyrics. The students' favorite, though, that I have taught them is the cup activity. Once the kids get the hang of it, the popular response is "De nuevo, de nuevo!!" (Again, again!!) Here is a video of the cup activity in the 3rd grade class.


The school really is a great place where kids learn, but play is accepted. Kids can be kids without question. It's definitely a change of pace, but it is very eye opening.

No comments:

Post a Comment