Friday, May 24, 2013

SoCo and Empanadas by Hannah Gist

       Coming from the south, I have been taught a thing or two when it comes to southern hospitality. My pride has been shamed since the moment I stepped off the 27 hour plane ride. I was greeted with signs and smiles from my new family who were waiting behind the glass with excitement. When I was getting off the plane in Concepcion, I was relieved to finally see Mr. and Mrs. Denny, as they were the first people from LSU that I encountered the whole trip. After a few pictures were taken of our first "Hola's" we loaded up the car and had our translating apps ready to use. In the car ride it was clear that communication would be a difficult task but we all shared laughs of hopelessness. Once we got to the house, my family had the table set for breakfast. Thanks to my diet of stale pretzles and rubber "chicken" bites over the past 2 days, I was willing to try anythign that was consumable. My very first breakfast I was introduced to Manjar and we've been lovers ever since.

.... Maybe I should clarify my love for Manjar so my mom wont show up here tonight to take me back to Louisiana.

       Manjar is this creamy, delicious greatness that will ever touch your tongue. I enjoy it over everything; bread, banana, Im not kidding when I say it would compliment dirt. You can bet that I will definitely be smuggling Manjar back to the US in my suitcase. Get ready Customs!

                               

Other than the food, Chile itself has been truely amazing. I am so grateful for my host family. I have already begun to consider them as my own and they make me feel like I am one of them. I cant believe we only have 2 weeks left! Hope all is well in the States!

Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment