Friday, May 24, 2013

My First Field Trip by Allyson Yorks


My first week in Chile has been amazing. Our group was lucky enough to spend a lot of quality time with our host families before our time working in the Thomas Jefferson School. I have tried lots of great food, seeing many different sights, and trying different ways to communicate with my host parents. I’ve been assigned to work with the pre-kinder students who are four years old. Despite not being able to understand a word they say, they are the cutest little munchkins.

Their school buses
One interesting thing that is done at the school is most of the after school activities take place at school; taekwondo, yoga, tennis, piano, art, etc. Almost any activity a student may have an interest in taking is offered.
Rodolfo getting ready for taekwondo

One student trying on diving gear
Today, I got to experience my first field trip as a teacher ever. All three pre-kinder classes went to Lenga to see the “aquarium.” It was an area by the ocean that consists of mostly fishermen as well as an area where some marine biologists can dive and do research. A woman who studies there has a child enrolled at the Thomas Jefferson School and gave the students a tour as well as showed them some of the marine life that they have to study with. Like a typical aquarium, there were a few spots for children to pick up the marine life and touch the shells, sea starts, and sea cucumbers. Afterwards, the three classes went to a local restaurant for sopapillas and empanadas – staple foods here in Chile.
Shrimp and crab empanadas
Sea star from the aquarium
I can’t wait to see what this weekend and next week has in store for me. I’ll be teaching some of my own activities relating to the sea with my students.

No comments:

Post a Comment