Monday, June 3, 2013

Pucon Weekend Getaway by Emily Nickles

When I was told I was going to the mountains for the weekend I figured it was where everyone had been going.  Little did I know we were going to Pucon.  It is in the mountains about 5 or 5 and a half hours Southeast.    There is a volcano, a national park, a very touristy spot.  We left Friday and had a great drive, lots to look at and beautiful things to see.  There were multiple rainbows because of all the rain.  Also there were seven of us on this trip, my family, and Cristian's mom came too, so lots of people to keep the ride entertaining!
Best picture I could get in the car
When we arrived we had an awesome once (a light dinner).  They had such fresh fruit, and bread, and we were able to sit by the fire.  We also were able to have a pretty good conversation, my Spanish is coming back more than I thought, and Gloria's English has seemed to be getting better too!  After we shopped a bit in the stores and were able to go into Gloria's favorite store. 
Me and Mama (grandmother) in Gloria's favorite store
When we got to the apartment we were staying in after our once I found out I got to share bunk beds with the girls!  They were so excited about the bunk beds, as all kids I feel like are.  The girls told me I had to have the bottom because they wanted the top, which was fine by me!  There was also a beautiful view from the window in the room we were staying in, probably my favorite view of the whole trip!  Every time I looked out it would look different from the fog, I LOVE that!
Girls on the bunk bed!
AMAZING view!!
Saturday we went to this really cool store we had driven by on the way in.  It had huge windows for the front walls.  It had all wood things inside, which I think is just very interesting all the things people can make with wood.  They made wood flowers that were so beautiful if they weren't so big I would have bought some!
Had to take the picture of the one with LSU colors!
Finally we headed into the mountains.  We drove for a little over an hour and finally arrived at the spa/thermal baths.  The spa was beautiful we had an AWESOME lunch, and then headed into the thermal baths. 
Girls at lunch!

Florencia in the thermal baths
The girls loved my underwater camera, although the excitement only lasted for about 20 minutes, then they were over it.  We did get a few good pictures. They really wanted to swim but the pools were so small that it was difficult for them to get around without hitting other people.  They still seemed to have fun but after an hour were ready for the next activity. 
Fernanda and Francisca

Finally the adult girls got massages.  Gloria set me up with a massage with hot rocks, it was AMAZING.  Of course I was super nervous that the rocks would be really hot so when she actually put them on me I flinched, really bad.  It became a pretty awkward situation because I didn't know how to say I was just nervous but am fine.  Finally she understood and continued.  Lets just say within the thirty minutes I fell asleep, so relaxing.  

Sunday after breakfast we went to some markets.  There were so many little, and big things being sold.  It was really neat to see all they had, they seemed to have a whole lot made of wood and a whole lot of things made from alpaca.  The strangest thing I saw was what looked like a hoof made into a cup type thing.  I really was confused as to what anyone would want it for.  I guess you never know!  
THE HOOF
I had an amazing weekend with my family!  I am so sad to think we only have 4 full days left with our families, but am so excited to head to Buenos Aires.  Such a bittersweet feeling! Just hoping I can have just as much fun with my family these next few days as I have been having!

No comments:

Post a Comment