Friday, June 7, 2013

Packing Up and Saying My Goodbyes by Claire Johnson



As the trip leads to end, I am saddened to leave my host family and the Thomas Jefferson School.  These three weeks have flown by, I feel like I just got off the plane!  I have learned so much from my host family, my teacher, Ms. Sandra, and all of my students.  Not only have I learned some  more Spanish, but also I have learned how to be a better person.  Each individual I have met here in Concepcion, Chile has shown me how to be more enthusiastic and compassionate about life.

My homeroom class, 2B. 

            At the Thomas Jefferson School, I have seen how fun classes can be.  Each day Ms. Sandra and I incorporated a game or activity that got our students motivated to learn.  My last day of class was filled with emotions, both happy and sad.  When my homeroom class was in math, they threw me a surprise goodbye party!  This party included traditional Chilean customs, such as empanadas and the Cueca Chilena.  I had so much fun with all my classes, but was torn when I had to say goodbye.  Even though I was at the school for three weeks, those I have met here will be with me in my memory forever.  I am so thankful for this wonderful experience and would love to visit Chile again!


Ms. Sandra and me with 3A!

Cheering on classmates during an intense game of Trashket Ball.
In this game, students were paired into two teams.  One member from each team works out a math problem on the white board.  If the student answers correctly, then he or she gets to shoot a ball into the trashcan for 2, 3, or 5 points.  The students absolutely loved this game!

Studying hard or hardly studying?

 I want to thank Kenny, Margaret, and Ken for setting up the trip.  I also wanted to thank all the graduate assistants for answering all of my questions when I needed and an answer.  Most of all, I am so thankful for the Thomas Jefferson School for allowing us to work along side their great staff and wonderful students!  And, to my host family for putting up with me for three weeks!! It's been a pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment